International Workshop on Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions
May 1999, Santorini, Greece
Co-chairs: H.M.Frost, G.P. Lyritis
This is an investigators´ meeting organized by
the International Society of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions (ISMNI).
ISMNI is a newly established scientific society aiming to promote a broader
understanding of the mechanisms involved in the function of the musculoskeletal
system, especially the interactions between bone, joints, muscles, nutrition,
central and peripheral nervous system, and to improve the diagnostic concepts,
prevention and treatment of diseases characterized by the disturbance of the
coordination of these issues.
The volcanic island of Santorini (Thera) is one of the most attractive places in Europe. It provides a setting conducive to relaxed thinking,
exchange of ideas and development of partnership. The conference will take place at the Petros M. Nomikos Conference Center located in the capital of the
island, Fira, overlooking the caldera and the Santorini volcano.
Delegates will have the opportunity of visiting the caldera of the volcano and
the ancient town of Akrotiri. The conference center is only fifteen minutes from
the local airport and 35 minutes by air from Athens. Direct flights from almost
all European capitals are available.
- Principles and terminology in bone physiology and mechanics of the musculoskeletal system.
- Defining osteopenias and osteoporoses.
- Adaptation of the growing skeleton to mechanical stimuli.
- Mechanical signals to bone cells.
- Estrogen and Bone-Muscle relationship.
- Mechanisms of the SERMs on bone.
- Actions of bisphosphonates on bone.
- Interaction of pain and mechanical usage.
- Neuromuscular coordination and falls.
- Ageing and repair mechanisms.
- Osteocyte as mechanosensor.
- Long-term effects of antiresorptive agents
- The effect of anabolic agents on bone and muscles.
- Clinical experience with PTH in osteoporotic patients.
- Physiology of exercise
S Adami, D Agnusdei, J Barbieri, C Bosco,
D Felsenberg, HM Frost, J Gasser, J Hock, WSS Jee, DÍ Kalu, Th Karachalios,
I Koulouris, G Koundis, M Koutsilieris, GP Lyritis, G Marotti, H Minne, Lis
Mosekilde, P Raptou, N Roidis, M Runge, M Schaffler, H Schiessl, E Schoenau,
Gr Skarantavos, G Trovas
to Previous Conferences